Thursday, April 2, 2015

'rUDRANi' - start to my yoga journey!!

NYC's 2008 winter had just started to kick-in and I had just finished my first 'half marathon' in long island that summer/fall. It was an experience, it was an achievement in itself. I wanted to continue my daily run after the marathon but it started getting too cold outside. I tried the gym, but it got too boring for me. My daily dose of workout was diminishing in that cold weather. So then, i decided i should try something new, which i had never done before - maybe yoga? I then started looking up for a yoga school. I had zero knowledge on yoga or its community in the US. I started looking for a yoga schools, my criteria was very simple - should be an Indian teaching school (a mental block) and not more than 2-3 blocks away from my apartment (didn't wanted to travel too far from my apartment).

So, after going through online listing of yoga centers in and around west side - I found this school, 'World Yoga Center' run by Rudrani and it was only 2 blocks away - Perfect isn't it? Rudrani (indian name) and close to home (super excited i was). I visited this place the next day and registered myself for a free class - ofcourse I did not meet Rudrani on the day one but the free class was conducted by an american apprentice. I liked the school and the class - it was new and loved it. So i enrolled for more number of classes (we had to buy single class or number of classes and use it in 3 months). I was regular and each time i waited for Rudrani's class - i then looked up the schedule and found it was on the following Sunday. Eagerly waited for the Sunday's class and attended. I still couldn't find Rudrani (I was looking for an Indian looking teacher). I then walked up to the front desk and asked the gurl for Rudrani - she pointed towards the teacher whose class I had just attended. ('Rudrani' was a 60+yr old American lady, who had changed her name to an Indian name, She lived in India in early 70's to learn yoga and that's where her name originated from.). How ignorant and silly I was!!  I was very surprised and walked up to her - I apologized to her and then told her what I was thinking - she smiled at me and said, she too was intimidated to see an India looking student in her class, she thought, 'I' would know more about yoga than she did. Well! it was great lesson - do not judge a book by its name :) ... what a wonderful experience. I loved class and till date i have not come across a better teacher than her.

I was regular at this school, each class was for 2hours and loved it. I continued practicing yoga through my stay in NYC till end of 2010. The number of classes I attended with different teachers from this school was tremendous and the style I was practicing was 'Anusara'. The school is very very genuine, they are so committed to yoga practice, conduct lot of community classes, meditation, monthly sathsang sessions. This is where it all started for me...my yoga journey :) 

Felt as if, Rudra himself introduced me to 'YOGA' through Rudrani :) ... blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment